Thursday, November 27, 2008

I want to look like you, mommy

It was just jeans and a burgundy long-sleeved T, but my daughter looked up at me with her big brown eyes and said, "Mommy, I want to look like you. Do I have a red shirt?"

The question came as the day before I watched my 4 year old tell me a story with all the inflection and hand-motions of me at my best. It is inevitable. Our kids will naturally become like us, for better or for worse. It still happens to me. Before I know it a phrase or motion will be followed by my own sister looking and pointing at me, saying, "MOM!"

So what am I teaching? What am I passing on? Some things are not so good as I hear my daughter rudely boss her brother. I know she has heard some of these same comments or similar tone from my own mouth in moments of frustration. But then there are the things that warm your heart. Like the other night I had put her brothers to bed and was approaching her door when I heard her telling her baby doll, "It's true, the Bible is true. These things really happened a long time ago...in heaven." OK, so I had to clear up some theology, but it still completely melted my heart.

They will do what we do; it is inevitable. We better be paying attention.

If I am faithful with my moments, I will be faithful with my life.

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook