Sunday, March 8, 2009

So many choices

I am pondering something this morning: my physical health. I heard a statistic last night on a Christian program that astounded me; Americans, on average, eat over 700 donuts per year, per person. Now maybe, like me, you say, "I rarely eat a donut." But what do we put into our bodies?

God has given us one physical body. That's it. And it is but dust. Yet He calls it His Temple, "do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's." (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)

These verses are specifically referring to sexual purity. But I think it is worth relating to our physical health. We know so much more information today than ever. I can hop onto Google and find out anything, from ladybugs to motorcycles, Obama to the Dalai Lama. Isn't that amazing? Just two decades ago we relied on a trip to the library or a set of outdated encyclopedias. But that is not our reality today. And with knowledge comes responsibility.

Thankfully with Christ came grace (praise you, Lord!). But as Paul asks, does grace give us freedom to sin? Certainly not. I am not telling you to go clear your cupboards of all processed foods (though that would probably be the wisest and healthiest choice for us all); I am just being challenged personally with what I put into my mouth, what I feed this one body God has given me. And probably more importantly, what I feed my three kids.

In some ways it is similar to our spiritual health. Though we are free in Christ, and not under law, it is still more beneficial to spend time reading His Word rather than not. It brings spiritual health to digest His truth. Likewise our physical health is affected by our choices. Spinach will strengthen me more than candy. And water will help keep me trim, while soda adds the pounds.

Our moments are filled with choice. Whether it is what we look at, listen to, read, or eat, we have a choice. Give us wisdom, Lord. Give us wisdom.

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook