Friday, May 8, 2009

A Humbled Wife

OK, ladies, do you want to be humbled today? Wow, I was humbled last night. I have mentioned before that I am in the process of writing a book about being a victorious wife in spite of your circumstance. So I should have this all together, right? Not so much. I still struggle. My emotions still lead me astray. My words can leave my mouth before I think, especially by the end of the day when patience has worn thin.

So how was I humbled? I asked my husband if he felt respected in our home. This is it, ladies. This is our primary role towards this man with whom we have vowed our days. Though my husband qualified his statements, he did mention times when he did not sense respect. Ouch.

Don't get me wrong. Thankfully there is grace and forgiveness. But this is the basic goal for a Christian wife: respecting him as the leader of the home. God designed marriage with organization. It has absolutely nothing to do with intrinsic value. Man and woman are equal in worth but different in function. We were created differently and with great purpose. In fact it seems that God progressed throughout creation, getting more and more complex--leaving the woman last. We all know the complexity of our own womanly heart.

But in the home, God has designed roles meant to reflect the relationship between Christ and the church. And as the wife, our God-ordained role is that of a helpmate. Yes our husbands also have a role--loving selflessly and tenderly. But regardless of their actions, we are still living before an audience of One. We are still responsible for our own thoughts, words, and behaviors.

It is a challenge. I know. But there is great blessing when we obey the commands God gave to the wife. Let us take every thought captive, by the power of His great Spirit, and lavish these men with the respect their inner-beings crave. It will result in blessing.

I'm in there with you, ladies. I will be praying.

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook