Friday, June 26, 2009

Eyes on the Eternal

God is faithful to teach, the question is, "Am I faithful to listen?"

As a parent, God's training ground is often through my relationships with my little ones. I see so much in them, that if I truly self-reflected, mirrors my own strengths and weaknesses. This can be convicting. For example, the other day a little "scuffle" arose between my two eldest children, for about the sixth time that morning. The younger had grabbed a toy and the elder was loudly screaming her opinion. I marched over and said, also loudly, "We do not scream at one another." Then came, "We do not grab toys" as I grabbed the toy back. Do you see the problem? Yeah.

Something else that has come out of my mouth to my oldest also resonates in my spirit. I say, "You are older. I expect more from you. You understand more than they do. Be an example of love and kindness." It is almost like God is speaking to me at times through my very own words. This can be surreal.

Parenting well--in submission to the Spirit of God--can prove challenging. In the midst of young people often making foolish, childish decisions--imagine that--our flesh often wants to react in the same way. But let's face it parents, we are older. God "expects" more from us. We understand more than they do. We have to be an example of love and kindness if our kids are truly going to learn.

This concept also applies to other adults that are spiritually less mature than you. People will disappoint and hurt your and my precious feelings. But we live before One who judges rightly--One who loves fully. To live our days in the freedom and power of God, we must set our hearts and minds on Him--meditating on His truth.

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:16-18)

Parents, we are building into these little lives. Though it may feel like our daily interactions are not making a huge impact, if we are walking our moments faithful to the Lord they are seeing His truth through our lives--and if we are messing up royally God is ever gracious!!! Keep your eyes on that which is eternal, and if the temporary seems overwhelming then lock yourself in the closet and preach truth to your spirit. He is faithful!

Best Blogger Tips


1 comment:

Emily said...

i like the part about locking myself in the closet ;) thanks for your words of encouragement & for "preaching to my spirit"...as you know, i needed it today. love, em

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook