Friday, July 17, 2009

A Fine Line

Anger--it is an interesting "feeling." We all have it at times--some more than others; and with it comes a fine line between righteousness and unrighteousness.

Being a mommy of three young children, I find myself walking this line. The moments can be so trying--as I have mentioned before. My heart's desire is to reflect my Lord--that my kids would see His great love through my life. But how does anger fit into that equation?

Righteous anger occurs when God's heart and Law is transgressed. Many, many times in the Old Testament we read about God being provoked to anger because of the continual disobedience of His children (Deuteronomy 5:25). As a parent we will experience anger, but we must be in constant communion with our heavenly Father, asking Him for wisdom in the moments.

Is this anger righteous or not? Have I responded to it appropriately or not? Do I myself need to confess and submit to the Spirit more diligently in this area?

As a parent I think it is typical to feel guilt at any twinge of anger. Truthfully, some anger is righteous, but in our flesh we are not. We need the Spirit of the Lord to live through us that we might be able to reflect His heart rightly. Then praise the Lord for His mercy.

"But from there (their place of rebellion and corruption) you will seek the Lord your God, and you will find Him if you seek Him with all your heart and with all your soul. When you are in distress, and all these things come upon you in the latter days, when you turn to the Lord your God and obey His voice (for the Lord your God is a merciful God), He will not forsake you nor destroy you, nor forget the covenant of your fathers which He swore to them." (Deuteronomy 5:29-31)

For further nourishment: Psalm 30:4-5; Psalm 103:6-10; Matthew 5:21-26; Mark 3:1-6; Ephesians 4:25-27

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook