Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Foolish Rebellion

Did you know that 4-year-olds know everything? I didn't think this phenomenon started until the pre-teen years, but my preschooler is proving me wrong. She knows everything. Only the grace of God will surely get us through those teen years. Lord, go before us!

When I think back to my teen years I sadly remember how disrespectful I behaved, especially towards my mom. I have since apologized for my foolish behavior--sorry, again, mom--but the memories still linger spurring my hope for Jesus' return to new heights--you know, before my kids enter this stage.

I was reading in Deuteronomy 32 this morning with regard to God's heart towards His own children. It reads, "He found him in a desert land and in the wasteland, a howling wilderness; He encircled him, He instructed him. He kept him as the apple of His eye. As an eagle stirs up its nest, hovers over its young, spreading out its wings, taking them up, carrying them on its wings, so the Lord alone led him, and there was no foreign god with him" (vv. 10-12)

Isn't that a beautiful depiction of God's loving care for His children. He calls you and I the apple of His eye. He encircles, instructs, and carries. Thank you, Lord. Yet in the following majority of the chapter we see how God's people rebelled. They "grew fat, thick, and obese" with things of this world, and "forsook God who made him, and scornfully esteemed the Rock of his salvation." (v. 15) And devastating judgment followed.

It reminds me of my teen years. Years where I knew it all and rebelled from the teachings of the ones that loved me most. And destruction was inevitable. Sadly I think that some of us grow up in age yet never fully return to our first love--the Lord Himself. He keeps us as the "apple of His eye" even though He may have to discipline as a loving Father. He does know what is best. He is motivated by love. He can be fully trusted with our hearts and lives.

But to understand His ways and gain His perspective in our day to day living--the moments--then it is vital that we sit before Him and listen to His words. Just as a teen--or twenty-something year old--comes to their own parent asking for forgiveness, seeking their wisdom and guidance, and then resting in their love, so must we get before this Holy, loving, good Father. Allow Him to lavish us with His love and allow Him to prune those dead vines. His truth is life to our weary bones.

Keep on.

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook