Monday, July 13, 2009

Material World

In 1985 Madonna released a song entitled "Material Girl." The chorus actually says, "You know that we are living in a material world and I am a material girl." Wow. Was she declaring truth or what? Twenty years later our world is so steeped in materialism that finding true fulfillment in Christ proves difficult.

As I was reading in Acts this morning--which I often love to do--I was, again, both encouraged and amazed at the growth of the early church. I find myself longing for God to do big things through my little life. That He would somehow use me--if He so wills--in His bringing revival to our materially-minded nation.

Oh how my heart beats to a song by Shawn McDonald entitled "All I need." The chorus says, "All I need is your love to come and fill this heart of mine; my heart is a desert that has gone dry, and I need your love to carry me by." Material thinking will leave our hearts dry and wanting. Christ alone fills. Christ alone waters the dry, thirsty land of our souls. He is the living water.

And just so you don't spend your day remembering Madonna's song in your mind, click on the link below to hear and then meditate on the truth found in Shawn McDonald's lyrics. Be blessed today, my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcREE5Hkj4A

Best Blogger Tips


1 comment:

Kim said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Oh how easy it is to get trapped into the thinking of the world and accept it as truth! May we all find a way to be blind to the material traps we face!

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook