Friday, August 14, 2009

El Dinero

God is funny. Do you ever laugh with Him? I just did.

This morning I read chapters 8 and 9 in 2 Corinthians. Paul is discussing "giving." As I talked to God about these two chapters I said, "I'm just not sure. People are funny when you talk about giving." So I turned on my computer and stepped away for a minute while it loaded my settings--which takes forever! When I came back my "Spanish word of the day" (Debby-you would be so proud!) was "el dinero." That's right--money. I just had to laugh at Him. What in the world?!

So this must be for a reason. Maybe it is just for you.

In these chapters Paul is challenging the church to follow through with their commitment. They had been zealous for the cause of Christ and had "pledged" a large donation, but had since slipped away. Paul commends their zeal but then urges them to follow through with what they had promised.

He says, "He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver." (9:6-7)

We live in a time where many are being financially challenged. I have listened to story after story of job loss and retirement woes. I know it is difficult for many. So what's a girl to do? Place our hope in that which is firm rather than that which can be washed away.

We learn in Scripture that money is not evil--it is one of the tools of God--but the love of money--or dependence upon money--is the root of all evil. If we find our ultimate peace and joy through this temporal "thing" then we are setting ourselves up for heartache. Don't get me wrong. I really, really enjoy stuff. But if stuff is that which brings my greatest satisfaction in this life, then I have missed the point.

God desires all of me, and all of you--from our early morning to our late night. He designed us and loves us and therefore knows what is best for us. If we will obey His ways then there will be blessing. I am not preaching "health and wealth"--though He may sometimes bless in that way. I am speaking of weightier matters--blessings of peace through the storm, abundance through the desolate, and dancing over the ashes. This is the God I love.

When it comes to money, we must remember that it is all His. Ask Him how He would have you, and I, use it in our day-to-day. Then we must step out in faith as He purposes within our hearts. We will not be disappointed.

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook