Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Flying Goldfish

This morning in my conversation with God--meditating on words of Tozer which pointed me to the absolute exaltation of God's character--I humbly "told" my omnipotent, omnipresent Father that I wanted to know-know His Word better. I want to be able to recall--especially in the midst of my or another's trial--specific passages that will build faith and inject strength into their core. So a verse that has meant a lot to me lately from 2 Corinthians came to mind and I decided to start with that letter from Paul.

I am a dreamer. In my mind I am thinking that I want to know all 66 books of the Bible and specific passages therein. But I have learned this trait about myself and will pull in the reigns and start with one book and one chapter--2 Corinthians 1.

Three sections hit me from this chapter that I want to remember. I want to be able to recall these verses. I want them to be embedded into my spirit.
  • 1:3-4--(Our God is the) Father of mercies, God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

Our God comforts, but not without purpose. Yes, He wants us to rest in the midst of trial, but He then desires that we use the comfort we have received to comfort others. And what is the comfort? What brings rest? The truth of His amazing character--at least the tiny amount we can fathom in our mortal minds. How do we get to know His character? Dig into His Word! He has graciously revealed Himself to His creation.

  • 1:8-10 (Paul and his companions in Asia) burdened beyond measure, above strength, so that we despaired even of life...(trust) in God who raises the dead, who delivered us...and will still deliver us.

Have you ever felt this kind of weight? Burdened beyond measure, above strength, despairing even of life. What does Paul tell us to do? TRUST in the character of God. He is able, friend, to raise the dead. He is able to deliver us. He may not change our circumstances, but He often brings peace in the midst of a storm and manna in the midst of the desert.

  • 1:19--All the promises of God in Him (Jesus Christ) are Yes and in Him Amen (Let it be so), to the glory of God through us.

His Word can be trusted. If God has promised then He will bring it to pass. His timing is perfect and His plans unthwarted. Rest. Rest.

So today if you wonder what I am doing, I will be meditating on 2 Corinthians chapter 1 while I juggle mommyhood to three young children. It is in Him alone that I am able to do my "job" with any sort of victory. Stand firm, friend, amidst the flying goldfish.



Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook