Thursday, September 10, 2009

Dive In

Those same dead places seem to tempt me. I was just confessing to (agreeing with) the God of this universe. I have some dead places within me--behaviors of my flesh--that, at times, try to act like they are alive. Urrgghhh. It can be so frustrating. Then I was reminded of truth: my body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in me, whom I have from God. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20) And the same is true for you if you have accepted the sacrifice of Christ as your own.

We are all in process--me, you, our spouses, our neighbors, our parents, our kids, and everyone else we meet on these dusty trails. But if we so choose, we have been giving the resources to step through our moments in the power of Christ Himself. It is not always easy--mainly because we cannot do it in our flesh, but our flesh would really like to try. We are called to crucify our flesh, die daily to ourselves, let go of control, and dive deep into the waters of the Most High.

I read a beautifully convicting illustration by CS Lewis this morning, "This is my endlessly recurrent temptation: to go down to that Sea (referring to God) and there neither dive nor swim nor float, but only dabble and splash, careful not to get out of my depth and holding on to the lifeline which connects me with my things temporal." (The Weight of Glory, p. 184) Wow.

Only when we cut the ties of desire with things temporal, and press deep into that which is eternal, will we experience the abundance Christ died to give. And the thing is that He is infinitely more satisfying than anything this fleeting world, or our dead flesh, has to offer. Let's let go and dive in, loving Him and others with abandon.

For further nourishment: Psalm 113

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook