Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Mediocre to Majestic

I do not want a life of mediocrity. This thought after dusting off a book by Elisabeth Elliot entitled Through Gates of Splendor. Here she accounts the life of Jim Elliot and four others serving as missionaries in Ecuador, including the massacre that took their "sold-out" young lives. As I turned its pages last night, my spirit was encouraged and the thought passed through my mind, "I do not want a life of mediocrity."

To hear the diary entries of this young man, even in his college years, reveals his heart of conviction. He did not want to be occupied with "nonessentials." He says after identifying God's call upon him to go to unreached people, "I only hope that He will let me preach to those who have never heard that name Jesus. What else is worth while in this life? I have heard of nothing better. 'Lord send me!'" These thoughts from a man occupied with essentials.

In my day-to-day of mommyhood to three young children, there can be moments that feel very mediocre, at best. But even in the day-to-day, the apparent mundane can be transformed to majestic as we set our eyes on the essentials. How encouraging to read of Jim's father's devotion in teaching his kids the reality of the Bible. He would sit them down every morning, while they squirmed in their seats, reading the Word, explaining that this Book was to be lived, "and that the life it depicted was a happy and rewarding one." And eventually they got it.

I am a dreamer. God has placed big dreams upon my heart, to be used by Him. And the truth is those big dreams begin today, as a wife and mother to three young, impressionable kids. As Jim Elliot used to say, "Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God." May we not settle for mediocrity in our moments of this day.

Best Blogger Tips


1 comment:

Emily said...

"wherever you are, be all there..." I love that! Thanks for sharing it & your heart with "us" every day. Just want you to know it truly blesses me :)

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook