Friday, October 30, 2009

Pursue Love

Love. That's it. That's the point--the bottom line, the test of soul, the motivating factor. If we are not loving others, then we are missing it. We miss the entire summation of God's Word. Love.

True love--love that rises above emotion and seeks the good of another--is an act of the will. It is a choice. It is a command. It can be "known only from the actions it prompts" (taken from Strong's definition). It moves. It does. It is expressed. Feelings often follow.

The greatest example of love is seen in the "work" of Christ. He came to die--not only for His own, but for those who rejected Him, hated Him, and murdered Him. He died out of love. He gave Himself because He submitted to the love of the Father. This is love.

And it cannot be conjured from our flesh. This kind of love--love that crucifies self and sacrifices for others--can only be made manifest by the power of God. This kind of love is from God. It is God. We cannot do it on our own. "Father, love through me--my husband, my kids, my family, my friends, even those that betray me, hurt me, use me, and neglect me. Only by the power of Your might."

We learn that our love towards God and others is the evidence that we are Christ's disciples. So would others know who you and I follow by our love?

"Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous; love is not boastful, it is not arrogant; it is not rude, not selfish, not resentful; it does not think evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in truth; it bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails...Pursue love." (1 Corinthians 13:4-8, 14:1)

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook