Thursday, November 19, 2009

Dig the Trench

"Diligence, diligence...," the first words on my mind this morning as my eyes awoke from a brief slumber. Yesterday's post, Distant Fire, did describe the "feeling" I had in my soul. But feelings are not always reliable. So I stood firm on the Psalmist's words and blessed the Lord, all that was within me. And He faithfully met me there...here.

The day was not easy--demands were high and my list was long. But I pressed on, pressed through, and continually aimed to set my gaze upon Him in spite of the moments. And He moved. He responded and rewarded. So I awoke today with the word diligence ringing, and dove into His word for a fresh perspective.

I found that the word diligent(ly) is prevalent throughout the pages of the Bible. Which makes perfect sense because we as people can be so very forgetful--so easily distracted. Truthfully, if we are not diligent in the moments of our day to love the Lord and stay bound to Him, then our hearts will find another home--a home that can never fulfill, a home that is empty with falsities.

In Deuteronomy 4:9, Moses says to the people of God, "Take heed to yourself, and diligently keep yourself, lest you forget the things your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life." Then centuries later in Hebrews 11:6 another explains, "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."

Do you hear our part in the seeking? We must be diligent, otherwise we will be carried away by the passing trivialities of this world. That word diligent in the Old Testament implies a digging of a trench or mining of gold. Can you grasp the persistence? It does take work, but the "soul of the diligent shall be made rich." (Proverbs 13:4b)

My prayer, both for myself and for you, is that we would be found diligently seeking Him especially through the messy, difficult, demanding, distracting moments of this day. He will faithfully reward our souls.

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook