Saturday, November 7, 2009

Nice and Simple

"OK people, let me break it down for you, nice and simple."

You know there are some funny scenes in the Bible. Today I read some accounts from the gospel of John. And a short phrase in chapter 11 made me laugh. Jesus had heard of His friend, Lazarus', imminent death. Once it was time to make His trek to Bethany, and glorify Himself through a miracle, He informed His disciples, "Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go that I may wake Him up."

Then the humorous part, "Then His disciples said, 'Lord, if he sleeps he will get well.' However, Jesus spoke of his death, but they thought that He was speaking about taking rest in sleep. Then Jesus said to them plainly, 'Lazarus is dead. And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, that you may believe. Nevertheless let us go to him.'"

It's like He was saying, "OK people, let me break it down for you, nice and simple: Lazarus is dead. Got it?!" And I probably would have added, "Geeeeez, I have to explain everything over and over and over." Thankfully God--our Shepherd--is so patient with us sheep. But all of this begs the question, is He telling me something, challenging me with something, or convicting me of something? And do I really want to hear His voice on the issue?

He did raise Lazarus from the dead--FROM THE DEAD! Think about that. And He wants to raise us up and give us life in Him as well. His power is ever-reaching, His love unmeasurable, His grace redeeming.

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook