Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Gaze of One

Do I really? I mean, when it's all said and done, when the accolades cease, when everyone else has "gotten the memo," do I really live for an audience of One? Is He really the only One from whom I desire approval?

The words of Paul resonate in my mind, "Do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ." (Galatians 1:10)

The two pursuits collide.

To be honest, I have always liked for people to like me. Call it insecurity. Call it immaturity. But I am coming to this new place in my life--a foreign land where I am learning the language and tasting new foods. In this land I grow ever more sensitive to the gaze of One--the gaze of Him who reigns. And I long to be faithful.

It isn't that I fear His wrath--He has placed that upon His Son. It isn't that I feel it's my duty--for grace abounds. It's just that He knows me perfectly. His plans for me are for my good and His glory. And there simply is no life--no abundance or ultimate freedom of soul--apart from my walking faithful to the call upon my heart.

So here I am--me before Him. Father, use me for Your name's sake.

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook