Monday, February 2, 2009

The Worth of a Woman

My passions have been stirred. It is a mixture of anger, disgust, and despair.

I only watched about 30 seconds of the actual Super Bowl game last night, which I heard was an incredible game. I did see Jennifer Hudson do a phenomenal job with the National Anthem. (Oh how my heart breaks for her). But the actual passing, receiving, kicking aspects...only about 30 seconds. And I am OK with that.

What has my passions stirred is about 7 seconds of a Doritos commercial. It opened with a close-up of a man taking a bite of the delicious, crunchy chip. Just as I was thinking, "Yummmm, I would really like a Dorito right now" the scene switched to a woman walking down the street. She was so "affected" by the crunch of this yummy snack that all of her clothes just came off (happens to me all the time; doesn't it you?). So she is standing there on the sidewalk with a shocked look on her face and sexy black lingerie on her body.

I have been analyzing why disgust overwhelmed me. Is it because I am jealous that my body doesn't look like that? Possibly. But I don't think that is the core issue. I think at the root is my 4 year old little girl and my two precious sons.

What are we as a society teaching children about beauty, about women? If you look to media for the answer then it shouts: beauty is a scantily clad woman with a full figure, long hair, and wanting eyes. Women are portrayed as objects to be used for pleasuring lustful glares. Is that seriously where we are? I don't want my daughter to believe the lies that beauty is merely skin deep. That you have to look a certain way to be considered attractive. I hope to teach her (despite the bombardment of seduction at every corner) that true beauty, lasting beauty, is of the heart.

Now regarding my sons. I want them to see women as human beings. As people with real feelings and flaws, to be respected and looked at in the eyes; not as an object to be coarsely jested about or candy to be lusted after. Are men really at the mercy of their hormones? Surely not. There has to be a higher road. And if you believe in the power of God then you have to believe that this higher road is able to be traveled by the power of His might. It isn't hopeless for our sons!

So what is my, our, responsibility? Do we just throw in the towel and declare defeat? I don't think so. It obviously begins at home. It isn't possible to shelter our kids from every possible image. So we as parents have to teach our kids to be thinking people. People that evaluate what comes in through their senses. But to teach it we must live it; we have to evaluate and guard our own eyes. Or have we become so desensitized that we aren't even affected by the lies anymore, lies regarding value and worth?

I know that the world isn't going to stop publishing lies. I am not that naive. But I do believe we can make a difference in our own little spheres of influence, with our own daughters and our own sons, by the grace and mercy of God. What are you believing?

Best Blogger Tips


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen. As you know, this issue is dear to my heart as well. I feel defeated in it a lot of the time, in fact. But you are right, there is a Mighty God who we serve, and he cares about every thought that crosses our minds (or the minds of our husbands or children)... He makes ALL things pure. Thanks for your heart on this sister ;)

Unknown said...

I totally agree with you. The portrayal of women in the media is absolutely shameful and not at all "progressive." All we can do is teach our kids how God sees us and pray they are confident in Him and in themselves to not be swayed by what they are bombarded with in the world...

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook