Tuesday, March 17, 2009

YOUR desires for me

God amazes me. Though I cannot yet share the details, God is up to something in my life. In one year's time I have gone from the deepest valley to the edge of a mountain. I can hardly comprehend it.

Last night I shared some fears with my husband, fears of insufficiency. Can I really do this? Do I have what it takes? The answer, "NO!" In my flesh, I can't. In my flesh I am selfish, deficient, and fearful. But when God calls, He also enables.

This morning, as my own fears were still lingering subconsciously, I began reading Jeremiah chapters 1-3 . Here we see God calling Jeremiah to be His prophet to Israel, and Jeremiah voices similar fears, "Ah Lord God! Behold, I cannot speak, for I am a youth." God instructs, "Do not say, 'I am a youth'...whatever I command you, you shall speak...I have put My words in your mouth." (coincidental? I think not)

OK, so I am not declaring my call to be a prophet to Israel. That's fo sho! But there is a deeper truth embedded in this conversation between Jeremiah and God Most High, applicable to us even today: God will equip us to carry out His will for our lives. He does not promise to give us "equipment" to carry out our own will, our own desires; but throughout scripture He promises to equip us to carry out His will in our lives. And He is forever faithful.

Strangely, I hear what you are asking, "But what is His will for my life?" Here's the thing I have learned in my own adventure with God. When you or I seek Him, spending time alone with Him, getting to know Him through His Word, He gives you His very desires for your life. His desires become your desires. But the key is knowing Him.

I am one of those people who believes the Bible to be true. I don't presume this blindly; I actually see a strong case for the authenticity and reliability of Scripture (a completely different topic). With that as my foundation, God has proven Himself faithful to His promises over and over again in my life. Just as you would spend time with a physical person in order to get to know their heart, their longings, their drive; it is of vital necessity to spend time with God the same way. And as you do, He will give you His desires for your life, His desires for your days, and even His desires for your very moments.

God is cool. He is so big and yet so intimately involved, if we allow Him to be. Love Him, sweet friend, with all your heart, soul, body, and strength. He is worth it.

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook