Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Nickels

Last night, I had a funny conversation with Hailey, my 4 1/2 year old. It began at dinner.

I was getting something for her and she said, "Mommy, that says 'Food Lions' on it."
"You are very close," I encouraged, "It actually says 'Food Lion' without the s."
"That's not right. It is supposed to say 'Food Lions'," she insisted.
"Well, the store is just called 'Food Lion' like there is just one lion-of-the-food." (By the way who thought of this name?!)
"Well, I call it 'Food Lions'."
"OK," I said while thinking "and of course you are 4 and always right."

We progressed through our evening routine. After bath is when the conversation got really good.
"Mommy, why did God give us nickels?" she asked looking in the mirror at her nipples.
Once I cleared up the actual name of the body part I said, "Well, when you have a baby one day that is where the milk will come from," hoping we could just drop it at that.
After pondering and staring at herself for a moment she said, "So why do we make milk for our babies?"
"God is so amazing that He made mommies special so we could feed our babies," I offered.
Then another silent moment as I again hoped no more information was required.
"So God made girls special. Like I am special because I say 'Food Lions' and you are special because you say 'Food Lion,'" she asserted with authority.
"Yes, well...sort of, I guess."

Sometimes you just have to go with it knowing that as she grows she will have greater wisdom.

Now, you know this just wouldn't be a completed post if I didn't relate this to our own lives as adults. Have you ever been so certain of something then later found out that you were incorrect? This is especially humbling if you were bold in your stance for the original position. Two things we can learn:
  • Be slow to speak! If you aren't sure of something, don't assert it as truth. It is OK to say you don't know. Remember, we have been created with two ears and only one mouth. James 1:19, "let every man (or woman) be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath."
  • Live at peace with others. Keep short accounts in your relationships. If we find we are wrong (it has happened to me once or twice) then we should clear the air with that other person. Paul says in Romans 12:18, "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men (and women)." As much as depends on you live at peace with others.

So maybe the next time we see a Food Lions we will remember to be certain with our words.



Best Blogger Tips


1 comment:

Unknown said...

She's so funny. I didn't know she still called them "nickles."

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook