Sunday, April 12, 2009

Rising Son

The sun is about to rise as I type. It is Easter Sunday. I remember as a child waking up to a basket full of goodies that a supposed huge bunny had left on our doorstep. We would tear off the tags to our new dress and put it on trying not to touch the lacy trim with chocolate fingers. And though that was fun, there is so much more to this day.

Today we celebrate that the grave could not hold Jesus Christ. He was torn, beaten, and killed as the final sacrifice for my sin and yours. He submitted to the will of the Father and then conquered death. It could not keep Him down. But how should that truth affect our day to day? How should that truth change my moments, my fears, my hurts, and even my joys?

Nothing in this world--no evil, no sickness, no need--is greater or stronger than He. The Father set Jesus Christ above all . But what does that mean? It does not mean we won't go through trials as children of God. In fact James reminds us that we will fall into various trials on this earth--they will come (1:2). But if you have received the sacrifice of Christ as your own--believing the scriptures and confessing your own sin--then you are said to be "in Christ." Your life has been covered in His righteousness and you can now approach the Father with boldness. He has sent His Spirit to indwell you, giving you power to walk these days with courage, wisdom, and strength.

Believe.

We will go through trials of various kinds. My dad used to say that either you are coming out of a trial, in the midst of a trial, or one is coming your way. It is just life. But in Christ we can be more than conquerors (Romans 8:37).

I have a dear friend walking an excruciating road in these very moments--her almost 3 year old has been diagnosed with cancer. My body aches for her. I cannot even imagine. The pain is so deep and real. The questions continual. But in spite of her feelings I am watching her stand on Truth. I am witnessing her preach to her spirit when her mind wants to surrender. She understands that God is sovereign over all and motivated by love. She knows that this was not a surprise to Him as it was to her a couple of weeks ago. He is still Lord. And He is able to carry this family through these raging waters and even bring glory to His name.

Our Savior is risen. He has conquered death, the last great enemy. He will come again. In a world unstable, there is a Rock--firm for building your life upon. Get to know Him, friend. He died for you.

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook