To two of the "churches" He says,
- (Continue) being faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.
- Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial...
To the five other "churches" He declares,
- I know your works, your labor, your patience...nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love (namely Christ)
- I know you hold fast to my name...but (you) commit sexual immorality. Repent, or else I will come to you quickly and will fight
- I know your works, love, service, faith, and patience...nevertheless you allow (one who blatantly walks in sin) to teach and seduce My servants to commit sexual immorality...(Repent or judgement will come upon you)
- I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead...Hold fast and repent.
- I know your works that they are neither cold nor hot...because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of my mouth...Therefore be zealous and repent.
So what is the bottom line? What's the point? To explain every single symbol from the book--every unfamiliar description? Not so much. Ultimately it reinforces my desire to spend these short days being zealous for the things that really matter. I don't want to waste the brief stay I have on this dirt. I want my life to reflect the love of God first in my home and then beyond its walls. I want to be one to whom Jesus says, "Well done, my good and faithful servant." (See Matthew 25:14ff)