Friday, June 12, 2009

Be the Church

I had an interesting dream last night. Though I will leave out the random details of my dream life that included me losing my purse, trying to remember if I needed to wear a shirt, and not being able to see really well, I did want to document the impression it left.

I was at church--though it was more like a convention center with a bunch of hallways with high ceilings--and it came to the congregation's attention that someone had a weapon that he intended on using. Everyone started to walk briskly to safety. The problem was that no one knew which way to go so everyone walked in different directions.

Oh, if we as the body of Christ--the church--want direction, then we must stand on His Word.

Then--after random details that do not really fit into the dream--the man was caught and handcuffed. He was walking behind the "mob" on his knees, with no one paying him any attention. Finally he reached the end of the aisle and laid down on the ascending stairs. I could not keep my eyes off of him. So I went over. Many were sneering as they walked by--some with disgust over his behavior, some just glad the fear had subsided.

Just as he was about to hit his head on the wall due to the crowd I shouted, "Watch out, you are about to get hurt." "Why do you care?" he questioned. Just as the words came out of his mouth, an old lady pushed on his head with her cane out of anger. "Is that what we do to people when they are down?" I said with some force. Then I looked him in the eyes. After a brief interaction with the man he started to cry as a few others began to notice him with genuine concern. "I will be praying for you," I assured.

That is the way God wants us to respond to those who have fallen in their sin. We as the church are called to lift one another and bear each other's burden--not point our finger, gossip, and push people when they are already down. If we are going to be transformed by the renewing of God, then we must be real. We need to share our struggles with a trusted--godly--friend and then be that faithful friend who loves at all times. Only by the power of His might.

As my pastor would say, "Let's be the church."

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook