Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Same, Old, Tired Darts

I have said it before, but must say it again, "We are a forgetful bunch of creatures." It bears repeating because of its truth. I am reminded because of a battle in my mind I had yesterday. The enemy of God has the same, tired, predictable darts that he throws at God's own--aimed at our previous areas of weakness and stronghold. Yet if you are like me, you can still fall for the bait! Come on!

My battle yesterday was with a thought pattern that once held me in bondage. Yet I still had to fight against it--fight for truth to reign in my mind. Urgghhh. It's entry was so seductive. Once it settled there, I realized my ponderings--and the battle began.

2 Corinthians 10:3-6 evokes strength as we stand on its truth, "For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.

There is a spiritual war waging--a war for your and my joy, peace, and, in turn, witness. But our weapons are mighty in God! And what are they? We learn specifically in Ephesians 6. Our one offensive weapon against the enemy is the Word of God--Truth--standing firm while praying continually. That is the place we must go when faced with the same old sinful patterns that characterize our flesh.

We must first pray for awareness--that we would be able to recognize thoughts that are not true or righteous. Then when awareness comes, in the power of the Spirit of God, bring those thoughts into captivity to obedience. For me this becomes my own private preaching session.

"Lord, Your Word declares this... So I will believe that as truth." We must reject the thoughts that do not honor Him. Otherwise we will live in the same old pits of sin--and freedom will be a distant desire. Once we have declared truth, we turn those thoughts into prayers of intercession.

Friend, choose this day whom you will serve. May we be awake and aware--faithful to the One who died to give us life. In Him is abundance of joy and endless peace.

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook