Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Ultimate Rest

Rest. Wow. If, like me, you have young children, rest is something you long to experience--"Can I just have a moment, people?! Just a moment." 'Tis the season, I suppose. And please don't get me wrong, I don't want to "wish away the coos" as I have said before, "I just wonder how many brain cells I will lose." But sometimes I do long for rest--a few moments of quiet.

Even this morning, as I rise a good while before my kids are supposed to awake, my daughter's alarm clock went off an hour early. Are you kidding?! Though I had her return to bed--already dressed for school, poor thing--she was ill and irritated--understandably. But selfishly, I grieved that my own rest and peace had been disrupted. Rest--peace of soul and calm of mind, possibly even a long nap.

But this morning I was reading of the ultimate rest. This is the rest for those whose faith is in the Lord--the mighty One, eternal, immutable, sovereign One, faithful, love, completely holy One. This rest flows from belief--belief that God's promises will come to pass. In this place is the ultimate rest.

This rest is His rest. It can be found in spite of circumstance. It can be experienced regardless of income, race, gender, and location. His rest is a rest of faith, trusting His will and ways no matter our limited vision.

So if, like me, your days are far from "restful," my prayer is that we enter that rest--His rest--even if we must lock ourselves in the closet for just a moment.

Keep on, friend.

For further nourishment: Hebrews 4:1-13

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook