Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Broken Cisterns

So I woke up this morning with my mind encircling a portion of a verse from Jeremiah. I love it when that happens--when I wake up and my mind is singing praises or thinking on His Word. It is so much more refreshing than waking up singing a Barney song or stressed about the day. Once I made it downstairs with my hair still standing on end and my eyes still straining from the light, I opened my Bible to the place on which my spirit had been meditating.

Father speak to me. Jeremiah 2:13, "For My people have committed two evils: They have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters, And hewn themselves cisterns--broken cisterns that can hold no water." A few comments as He brought them to my heart:
  • He was speaking to His own.
  • His own were capable of doing evil.
  • It is evil to forsake Him.
  • He is the fountain of living water.
  • A fountain is fresh, moving, and alive.
  • The water He gives to quench our thirst brings life to our weary bones.
  • Yet, His own forsake Him.
  • It is evil to make cisterns--an artificial reservoir for water.
  • A cistern is anything we place above God thinking it will fulfill us.
  • But the cisterns we make are broken.
  • They cannot hold water.

His people were experiencing many consequences due to their forsaking. They had become slaves, had been plundered, their land was waste, and they had brought this upon themselves in that they forsook the Lord their God. (2:14-17)

I am not sure why this verse was in my spirit this morning. But for me personally it causes an evaluation of my situation. Am I committing this evil--forsaking the Lord and not reverencing Him? Are any of my own "struggles" of bondage consequences of my own rebellious heart? Something to think about.

If the answer to either of those questions is "yes," then the solution is clear, (1) return to the merciful God who loves you, and (2) acknowledge your transgression before Him. He will then bless and give a beautiful heritage. (see 3:11-18) Thank you, Lord.

Now isn't this much better than Barney.



Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook