Sunday, November 15, 2009

Rockstar UPS Guy

I love the UPS man. Seeing that big, brown, boxy van pull down my street, breaks squeaking as it comes to a stop in front of my driveway, then with such precision the one delivering pulls those packages from the back that are addressed to me, steps down from his delivery carriage adorned in brown from head to toe--shirt, shorts, and knee-highs--and brings those awaited boxes right to my doorstep. Rockstarish in my book.

New stuff is just fun--even if it is a bottle of vitamins. But this time of year there is more excitement when my favorite brown van comes down the road. I have started ordering Christmas gifts for my kids, and the tape cannot be ripped into quick enough. I must admit that giving gifts to my kids really tops the chart in present giving. It's just fun. And this made me think of a passage in Matthew.

"What man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? If you then, being sinful, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!" (Matthew 7:9-11)

Do you believe that God is good? And not just good in an vast sort of expanse kind of way, I mean good towards you. If you have accepted the sacrifice of His son, then you are called His child and never will He leave or forsake you. And if you are His child then that means He is working in your life--for your ultimate good and His ultimate glory. We only see a moment in eternity, but He sees from beginning to end. He is good and can be trusted with our every breath.

God is not some "genie in a bottle" to be petitioned for our passing whims. He is God, sovereign over all. As we look into His face and get to know His heart, His will for our individual lives this day will be made known. But it begins with relationship--knowing this Father who lavishes good gifts on His children, and I'm not primarily talking about gifts one can see with the human eye.

So remember, when that brown, boxy van pulls down your road, God has even greater gifts for those who love Him. Press in.

Best Blogger Tips


1 comment:

Emily said...

That's good, it's good...

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook