Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Alive!

From John Edwards to Tiger Woods to the man on your own street once convicted of child molestation, the depravity of mankind really shouldn't shock us. In fact, they are me when left to myself. We all fulfill the lust of our flesh in the natural man. That's what we do. That's who we are. We are fallen--dead to righteousness.

Some are better at covering it with a "happy face" than others. Some push the envelope to the extremes that make our stomachs churn. But darkness is not pretty. Sin deceives, hurts, betrays, blinds, and rips apart. It enslaves. That's what it does. That's what it is.

And there is only one remedy. There is only one way to freedom from the death grip on one's heart. We need someone, something, to reach down and pull us from our own pit of destruction. We need a Savior. We need CPR--all of us.

When this Jesus opened my eyes, I was a complete mess--utterly fulfilling the cravings of my natural self. He woke me from my slumber, and I have never been the same. I cannot get over Him.

I still dance with my flesh at times--just ask my kids to document yesterday, or the day before. But the difference is that now--since Jesus--that is not who I am. I am no longer spiritually dead. I have a choice--and so do you if you have been given life through this Savior.

Life is hard. Marriage is really hard. People are messy. Parenting is...impossible when left to myself. But I have a choice in the moments. Do I follow this deceitful heart that screams for my self-rights, or do I take up my cross and follow this One who breathed life into my death? I choose Him.


Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook