Monday, June 7, 2010

hands without control

Jesus gave me the idea. From His word. He says to cut off your hand if it causes you to sin. Better to lose just one part of your body than live a life separated from Him. (see Matthew 5:27-30).

I bring it up because of our middle son. He cannot control his hands. If he thinks it, he does it. Little space lives between thought and action. And it gets him into continual trouble, poor thing. Hence the importance of Jesus' words.

OK, OK so I didn't cut off his hand for grabbing his sister when she didn't want him in her "clubhouse" or for hitting his little brother when he took the exact Lego piece he needed. But he does lose the privilege of his hands.

My original idea included handcuffs or rope, but my husband and I both agreed that that probably crossed the line just a touch. So when he uses his hands to hurt someone or something, he loses the privilege of using his hands for a pre-determined number of minutes. He cups them together--and typically cries--until the anticipated timer rings.

I told you, we are desperate.

I am also trying to teach him what he can do when he gets frustrated or angry, specifically with his hands and with his words. But some days can be long.

How about you? Do you have any tips for dealing with impulsive behavior in children? I'm open to suggestions.

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook