Tuesday, April 12, 2011

seeing the valley as a gift


The sufferings, the thorn, the excruciating, and the valley can be a gift. Dare we believe Him, that He is cultivating the ground for great faith and great love. And great joy's eruption.


Oh to use caution in our insistence that He take the "gift" away when true life is found in intimacy with the Lover of our souls. He quenches the thirst of the weary. He revives again and again and again.


He proves Himself sufficient.




Take heart. Stand tall. Run into Him. Our refuge. He is worth the deep.


Words of the precious Martha Snell Nicholson. I have posted this poem before but bears repeating. It bears memorizing...


I stood a mendicant of God before His royal throne
And begged him for one priceless gift, which I could call my own.
I took the gift from out his hand, but as I would depart
I cried, "But Lord this is a thorn and it has pierced my heart.
This is a strange, a hurtful gift, which Thou hast given me."
He said, "My child, I give good gifts and gave my best to thee."
I took it home and though at first the cruel thorn hurt sore,
As long years passed I learned at last to love it more and more.
I learned he never gives a thorn without the added grace,
He takes the thorn to pin aside the veil which hides his face."


Ms. Nicholson was an invalid.


Bringing it home...

Have you ever thought that even the valley might be a "gift"?
How does that perspective affect our stance?



Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook