Thursday, March 5, 2009

Deal with our Stuff

God is a lineage God. Have you noticed this? Throughout the pages of scripture we see the phrase "son of..." or "daughter of..." Why is this significant? Because we as parents don't live in a bubble or box. Our stuff, good and bad, strengths and weaknesses, affects our children. Things get passed from one generation to the next.

If you are a parent then you have seen it first hand. Though a superficial example, my daughter now tells stories like me: hand gestures, inflection, facial expression; it pretty much freaked me out the first time I noticed. But it was also a good reminder that our kids, more often than not, will become like us. So what are we passing on? Our stuff.

Parents, we have to deal with our stuff or it will be passed on to our kids. They learn what they see, not just what we preach. If we live in fear then they most likely will live in fear. If we battle addictions then they most likely will battle addictions. If we lie, gossip, and complain, they most likely will do the same. But if we walk in faith, love, and joy then they will more likely live victoriously.

Nothing is guaranteed. In fact I heard a profound statement the other day that comforted my mommy spirit. God was the perfect parent to Adam and Eve, yet they disobeyed and brought sin into the world. We could do everything right (which we won't) and deal with all of our stuff and our kids will still make poor choices at times. On the other hand we could do everything wrong and our child could grow up to be a mighty warrior for the Lord because God is so very gracious. That is life. But ultimately we set our kids up for greater victory if we portray a life of faith and freedom in Christ.

Some days as a stay-at-home mommy to three I can battle the question, "Is what I am doing, day in, day out, really important?" I know, I know, I know what you are going to say. And even though mentally I rehearse that it is "the most important and difficult job", the battle still ensues amidst the loads of laundry and dirty dishes. But the truth is that God is a lineage God.

We are building the next generation. God has placed little Johnny in your life with great purpose and design (see Psalm 139). He knows the plans He has for him...and you. Let's choose to deal with our stuff, let's choose to pass on great faith. God is worthy.

My own mommy responsibilities now call (and it's not even 7 a.m.). Enable me Lord to reflect You.

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook