Monday, April 27, 2009

Faces in the Crowd

I returned yesterday from a beach trip. I had gone down to South Carolina with some girlfriends for a women's retreat. It was great--no responsibilities, perfect weather, lots of laughs, late nights, chocolate, and time to just think upon my Lord.

We closed our weekend on Sunday morning with a worship service. Something hit me deep in my spirit as I scanned the room. I saw faces with tears, faces with smiles, faces looking up to the sky, faces singing praise, praying in intercession, and resting quietly in the moment. Just as when I had sat on the beach one last time that morning, the truth of God's amazing love and knowledge of each and every one of His creations weighed down upon me.

At times--many times--it can be easy to live so egocentrically--my problems, my fears, my victories, my walk with God, my life. But at that very moment, in the midst of corporate worship, I was reminded again of God's infinite care for each and every one of us. He knows both you and me perfectly. He wants to use both you and me in creative, eternally-effective, ways. He is both completely other-than and intimately involved. If we will just lay aside the things and ways that entangle, and lift our eyes, mind, and soul to Him then He will pour Himself out and lead us in victory.

"In lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself." (Philippians 2:3b) Life begins when we realize it is not all about me, it is all about Him. And as Jesus instructed, this world will know we are His followers by the love we have one for another. (John 13:34-35) Let us love today with abandonment to Him.

*****

P.S. It was wonderful to see the eyes and smiles of my three little kids and husband yesterday. And I must say how proud I am of my man--he gave me the gift of time away and he did it with grace...and with keeping the house fairly clean. Thanks Babe!

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook