Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Me? Sin?

I learned a simple concept while in seminary that has stuck with me (amazing considering all of the brain cells that are jumping ship). It explains God's relationship with His children as so:
  • Obedience leads to blessing.
  • Disobedience leads to discipline.

Even though the concept is simple, the reality can be somewhat difficult when brought into the day to day. In my studying this morning of Kay Arthur's Lord I Want To Know You, I was reviewing passages that pointed to God as the Healer. And though this isn't always the case, the majority of passages refer to sickness as related to sin. Yes, there are instances where sickness has nothing to do with sin. Please hear me. But the vast majority link sickness to sin. So why was this so hard to swallow?

Kay Arthur asked how I personally respond when faced with sickness, either my own or others. Do I point people to the possibility of sin as the source of their suffering? Rarely. I mean, I do search my own heart when faced with sickness; but if it is someone I love telling me of her health issues, I rarely ask if there is any unconfessed sin. Why? I guess because I don't want to come across as judgemental or "sprayed with holiness" as my dad used to say. We as humans do not like to think we bear any responsibility for our suffering. It goes back to the garden; it is natural to blame.

I am pondering a relationship ailment I faced last year. The easy thing was to blame and think of all the wrong the other person had done. But God quickly brought the issue to my own heart. I realized that I had my own issues to work through; my own sin to own.

We cannot look at the sufferings of others and assume disobedience. But when faced with sufferings, whether emotional, spiritual, or physical, we will be more in line with scripture if we first examine our hearts before a holy God, asking Him to reveal any areas of sin.

Let's just be real with Him. He already sees our hearts anyway and He is the God who heals.



Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook