Sunday, February 22, 2009

Power of the Pod

Ipod that is...

I was at the gym the other morning, having church on the elliptical with my mp3, when I started noticing how the majority of people are streaming something into their brains. Like me, they have their ear buds secured and the tunes pumping. And I started to think (imagine that), "I wonder what he, or she, is listening to..."

What we choose to listen to has power. It gets into our heads and affects how we think. I remember a specific time in college when I was heartbroken over some relationship. I decided that the thing to do would be to sit with a box of Kleenex in my apartment living room floor, listening to a specific song by the Cranberries, over and over and over, weeping in agreement to the singer's bitter words. How could that be healthy? Yes, there is a place for being honest about how we feel. But ultimately we will be most blessed when we set our minds on things true, noble, and right.

I am not trying to be legalistic by any means; it isn't about some religious box we have to check. But there are really only two choices: either we choose music that points our eyes to God or we choose music that points our eyes to this world (and the many relationship woes therein).

Just something to ponder.

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook