Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Teach me how to parent

I wonder how it was to parent Jesus. Have you ever thought about that? I bet that he listened to what Mary and Joseph said, and then obeyed. But my kids aren't Jesus. They need Jesus.

Some days as a mommy are so difficult. Yesterday was one of those. It was a day where I thought, "I must be doing something terribly wrong." I seek the Lord, try to teach love and kindness, and yet there are moments when I completely loose my cool after the tenth time that morning of having to discipline. I just want my kids to love each other and love God. But that is why Jesus came and died. We as people are sinful and selfish. We need redemption.

God uses days like yesterday to remind me of His own heart as my heavenly Daddy. Thankfully He is God, full of grace and patience, but we do see in the Old Testament His frustration when His children constantly whined and complained, not remembering His many mercies and blessings. There is good reason why the psalmist says, "Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name. For the Lord is good; His mercy is everlasting, and His truth endures to all generations." (Psalm 100:4-5)

God does want us to turn to Him with our requests, just as we want our own kids to come to us when they have a need. He is the provider, sustainer, and healer. But we have so much for which to be thankful. I want to reflect a thankful heart to my God. I want to enter His courts with thanksgiving and praise, not whiny complaints. Remember with me today all the many ways He has blessed our lives. He is worthy. He is good.

Oh, and, pray for the moms in your life. We need wisdom and endurance, depending on the power of His Spirit within us moment by moment. With His grace maybe I won't mess my kids up too much. :)

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook