Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Pride Exposed

Why would we as humans--short-sighted, easily distracted, too often deceived--battle pride? It disgusts my spirit yet often tries to reside in my own being--thoughts that rise declaring my goodness, potentially puffing me up. What in the world? We don't talk about it--that would seem arrogant. But we think it. We feel it. We compare ourselves to others in hopes of coming out on top. Why do we do this?

The answer: we are delusional. We as humans tend toward complete self-focus.

The solution: meditating on Truth.

When I was at the gym yesterday I noticed that everyone there was focused upon themselves--except for the various men scoping out half-dressed women. Glances into the mirror were sizing up one's individual accomplishments--"My rear end really needs a few more squats." "Wow, look how my arms are really shaping up." GAG--and these were my own thoughts that wanted to take up residence. ME, ME, ME. Sometimes I just get tired of thinking about me--what I need, what I want, how I am affected, what I am struggling with, what is on my to-do list. Enough is enough!

A song came on my mp3 by Brandon Heath entitled "No Not One." I was in the midst of battling self-thoughts when I collided with the absolute selflessness of Christ. Absolute Selflessness! He came for us. He gave Himself up for us. He crucified His human "will" and submitted fully to the Father. He loved completely. He died sacrificially. He lived selflessly. Wow. That is the point.

This life is not about me--it is all about Him. Proud thoughts might try to invade, but truth enables us to push them out. Truth guides us to a right understanding of the world in which we live. My life is not my own. I have been bought at a price--the price of Christ's death. I am no longer at the mercy of sinful mindsets. By the power of His Spirit we can humble ourselves and esteem others as higher.

Jesus explained that the two greatest commandments are to love God and love others--everything else hangs on these two laws. This day I pray we more fervently recognize proud thoughts disguised as truth. Let us humble ourselves before this mighty God that He might lift us up in due time. (1 Peter 5:6) It is all for Him.




Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook