Tuesday, April 6, 2010

mere (wo)man

My kids have a way of pulling my weaknesses out of the casket that I thought was buried deep. It's uncanny. Things putt along smoothly, then wham! my flesh stands its ground as if it has rights in this life of one supposedly dead to self. And I am once again awed at the astounding grace of God.

Hence the reason Paul's words continue to swim in my mind, leading me to my knees. He wrote to the church at Corinth, "For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men?" (1 Corinthians 3:3b) Mere men, or woman in my case specific.

If we take Scripture as truth, then those under the blood of Christ, having believed, are sealed with the Spirit of the Almighty. (Ephesians 1:13-14) "If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold all things have become new." (2 Corinthians 5:17)

The Holy Spirit of God indwells believers as a foretaste of the glory to come. Change is birthed. He breathes life into our very being. He breaks the power of sin. We now have choice as to whom or to what our hearts will bow. Amazing.

So why the struggle? Why the battle with the attitudes I thought were dead?

Because sin still lives in this mortal body. It no longer has us bound as slaves--praise Him!--but we must make the conscious choice--moment by moment--to submit to the filling of the God that has us sealed. And it is done by faith.

I behave like a mere woman at times--many times--as if having momentary amnesia to my true state; as if I haven't tasted the savory love of my Father. Oh He is so good to forgive. He is so patient to cleanse...again.

May we walk worthy of our calling. In Him alone is victory.

Practically speaking: When that flesh starts to rise up, speak scripture out-loud. For example, "'The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.' (Galatians 5:22) Father, I am obviously not walking in Your Spirit at this moment. Fill me Lord. Fill me Lord."

Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook