Friday, July 9, 2010

obsession

I want to always be obsessed. I know it makes one a little weird in the face of modern culture. But I want to always be obsessed with knowing this remarkably, undefinable God.

The book Crazy Love by Francis Chan has caught my attention. (Yes, I believe I am one of the last ones to read it.) Though I bought it months back, I finally found a few quiet moments this week to dive into its pages.

In between building sand castles, jumping waves, and avoiding the thoughts of underwater life inches from our legs, I sat under the shade of my favorite hat with my toes in the sand, craving to see more of my Creator. (Glorious, by the way.)

Today I reached the chapter entitled "Profile of the Obsessed." Wow. The thoughts it spurred within truly lifted my soul. Thoughts of the One worthy of my obsession.

I won't bore you with my own rendition or paraphrase. But I will leave you with two characteristics of the obsessed as noted by Chan that fanned the flame of my spirit towards my Lord:
  • Obsessed people love those who hate them and can never love them back. (p. 132)
  • Obsessed people care more about God's kingdom coming to this earth than their own lives being shielded from pain or distress. (p. 133)

The word holds strong connotation, but are you obsessed with your Maker? Nothing else is worthy of our excessive preoccupation. Nothing.



Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook