Wednesday, October 20, 2010

P31P-day 14, bless the man

guest writer: debra webb



I have read this verse many times and to be quite honest, I never really paid any attention to it. But I think this verse never spoke to me because I didn't allow the words to penetrate my heart. I saw these words speaking about the husband, but I am “the wife.” So what insight could I possibly gain?But recently a friend’s words gave new meaning to me.


The Proverbs 31 woman spoke well of her husband.


Her words honored her husband and uplifted his reputation to those in the community. He was known not only for choosing a good wife but also because his wife spoke well of him.

This woman followed Proverbs 17:9, “He who conceals a transgression seeks love, but he who repeats a matter separates intimate friends.” She understood that gossip and slander would not only separate friends but also tarnish her husband’s name. She understood the power of her words to either build up or tear down her husband.

I'm not saying that we need to stand on the rooftops declaring to the whole world our husbands' wonderfulness. But sharing their strengths rather than their shortcomings seems Christ-like. Others will gain either respect or disdain for our husbands based upon the things we speak of them.

Not only will our words affect how others see our men, our own attitude and outlook towards them is affected by what we say as well. We will cultivate a deeper love and respect when we repeat only the good.

God designed marriage as a picture of the relationship between Jesus Christ and His bride, the church. I pray that we as wives would honor our husbands in a way that honors our Lord. I pray that we would follow Paul's words in Philippians 4:8 and meditate on those things which bless and esteem.


"Finally, sisters, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy

meditate on these things."




***************


Great word, Debra! So very true and challenging. Thank you. Blessings!




Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook