Tuesday, October 12, 2010

P31P-day 8, tender yet fierce

guest writer: stacey thacker




Just say "Proverbs 31" to a group of women and chances are that you will hear a groan rise up from the masses. Most women, and I include myself in this category, see her as the phantom noble woman. To achieve her status feels unattainable. But the truth is, our God put her there for a reason, and as His daughter I must contend with her.

Since I love a challenge, I was excited when I received Lara’s invitation to join her on a 22 verse journey through this womanly passage of Scripture. Today, I am shining my little flashlight on a powerful verse that caught my attention a month ago while doing research for another post. It is verse 17 and it says:

She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong. (NLT)

The picture I have in my mind when I read this verse, is that "Girlfriend" is a woman on a mission. She has people depending on her. There is more to do than she can handle, which we can clearly see in the surrounding verses. (Can you relate?)

Each and every day, Girlfriend wakes up and first dresses herself with strength. Just as she carefully chooses her clothing for the day, she puts on strength (boldness, courage, steadfastness).

Where does this type of strength come from? We get a hint of this later in the chapter, when we read that she fears the Lord. (vs. 30) Perhaps she knew and prayed one of these verses out-loud each morning:


The Lord (is) my strength and my song, and He has become my salvation. Exodus 15:2

The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust. Psalm 18:2

(It is) God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect. Psalm 18:32

Seek the Lord and His strength, seek His face continually. 1 Chronicles 16:11


And so on....

Matthew Henry says of our Girlfriend that she will go through with work that requires all the strength she has. This is possible because of where she draws her strength.


She empties all of who she is at His feet (awesome fear), and in exchange she takes on all of who He is.



And who is He? None other than the One who made the heavens and the earth. The Deliverer of the sons (and daughters) of Abraham. He is her strong tower. He is her Rock. He makes her strong.

So, I ask you (as I ask myself), what are we doing to dress ourselves with strength? Are we purposefully putting on a robe of steadfastness by meeting Him in His Word daily? Are our arms made strong because they are folded in prayer each day? Do we run to the One who is strength?

I love this quote about her by John Eldridge. Because you know, Girlfriend was Captivating....

‎"Women are warriors too...Redeemed women of God have tender, merciful hearts, backbones of steel and hands that have been trained for battle. There is something incredibly fierce in the heart of a woman that is to be contended with, not dismissed, not disdained, but recognized, honored, welcomed and trained."

Oh Father....that is what I want to be! That is who I want my daughters to become.

Tender, but incredibly fierce.

Merciful, but trained for battle.


A warrior with strong arms that blesses her family and points others to You! Let’s run to Him together, Girlfriend, and let Him be our strength.





********************


Thank you, Stacey, for that word! I love that final description, "Tender, but incredibly fierce. Merciful, but trained for battle." Only by His strength. Blessings, friend.



Click here to read previous Proverbs Project posts.

And if you haven't yet subscribed, just click the link in the left hand column.
You can have these posts sent straight to your inbox!



Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook