Thursday, January 13, 2011

ponder with me the topic of food


Food. It's absolutely everywhere. Bodies are fueled by it. Celebrations revolve around it. Hurts find comfort in it. Mouths drool for it.

This Daniel Fast has me thinking a lot about what I usually put into my body. Wait wait wait. I'm not going to get all legalistic on you, nor am I going to march with picket signs banning sugar in schools. I'm just pondering. So bear with me.

He gave us each one body. Just one. And once sealed with His Spirit, He declares it to be His temple. So I'm thinking the best thing is to take care of it. Right? Feed it mostly healthy God-foods and strengthen it a bit. Not rocket science.




photo credit - flickr by cayusa




"But chocolate makes my mouth water and rich cheesy sauces taste so good on pasta." All true and all mulled over in my own thought life at some point in the last 12 days.

Hmm. But what if there really is good, better, and best--with the choices we make having effects on the body and mind. See. We're just thinking. So thankful for His amazing grace! And for the word "moderation."

On the food-note, this was last night's dinner. Very tasty, with a kick!




Moroccan Couscous


1 box quick cooking whole wheat couscous
1 lb. peeled and cubed acorn (or butternut) squash
1/2 c. diced onion
2 cloves minced garlic
Olive oil
1 tsp. ground ginger
3 tsp. curry powder
1-15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1-15 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained
1/3 c. golden raisins
1/4 t. ground cinnamon
Vegetable stock or water
Salt to taste

In large stock pot, saute the onion and garlic over MH heat in 1-2 T olive oil until softening. Add squash, ginger, and curry (and more olive oil if needed). Saute for approximately 5 more minutes. Add tomatoes, beans, raisins, and cinnamon. Add enough veg. stock or water to make a thick stew. Cook until squash softens, approximately 10-12 minutes. Serve over the cooked couscous.




Bringing it home...

Ponder this with me. What are your thoughts when it comes to food choices? Do they matter?

How do you think the American church, as a whole, sees food? {just to stereotype for a moment}



Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook