Monday, February 14, 2011

what Janet Jackson taught me about love {or not}


I am a product of Janet Jackson's 1986 hit, "What have you done for me lately." {uh uh uh uh uh, oooh oooh oooh, yeah.}


Seven years after its release, I graduated from high school defining "love" with similar sentiments.



photo credit - nicole pierce



For most of my life I wrestled with this little word love. I wanted the Cinderella story complete with gown and horse-drawn buggy. I wanted the "happily ever after" while gazing longingly into my man's eyes.


But our love story has been more of a Lifetime drama.


My man and I have walked through deep valleys with tough choices. We have questioned the plan and left wounds on the other. We have pointed fingers and miscommunicated.


But here we are...loving.


In these wife-years I have learned some things about love. True love--the Maker's love--chooses to pour out rather than demand.


It lifts and waits and gives. It fights for truth and destroys the list of wrongs. It suffers long and believes when hope hides. It is not based on the actions of the other.


How I want to love as my Lord so graciously loves me.


Sweet Janet Jackson, I enjoyed jamming to your songs. I forgive you for feeding into my confusion.


And to my man, I. love. you.



Bringing it home...

How has true love been proven in your own life?



Best Blogger Tips


No comments:

 
Home Twitter RSS Feed Email Subscription Facebook